Do you do spring cleaning? I’ve never really made a conscience effort to clean out and de-clutter my home just because it’s Spring, but I do think there is something to it. Maybe it’s because the days are longer and we feel like we have more time. Maybe the increased sunshine and warmer temperatures make us more energized. For whatever reason, this year I feel more motivated than ever to make changes in my home. I think being in my second trimester helps, too, along with the knowledge that my family will most likely be making a big move later this year. I want anything that we don’t use out and everything else scoured!
One problem I have with cleaning (besides finding the time and energy!) is the cleaning product itself. I have chemical allergies that cause coughing, wheezing, and ultimately an asthma attack if I inhale too much. I’ve actually had to use an inhaler in the middle of a grocery store cleaner aisle before! Even when they are closed, the chemicals found in most mainstream cleaners can irritate my lungs. Just imagine if I sprayed them around my kitchen and bathroom. Fortunately, there are more and more natural cleaning options on the market without harsh chemicals–and we carry several at Sweetbottoms!
2. If you’re tired of throwing money away with paper towels, why not try Forever Cloth? These high quality cloth towels can be used for a multitude of household chores. I’ve recently made the switch and find that cloth picks up much better than paper towels especially for dusting!
3. Instead of using the harsh chemicals found in common stain sticks, use Buncha Farmers All-Natural Stain Remover to get out spots on your laundry. It’s funny that I never had much of a need for stain remover before having kids–namely a toddler who loves ketchup and blueberries.
4. Biokleen makes several natural cleaning products including Bac Out, a stain and odor eliminator, and this All-Purpose Cleaner. I like how it’s concentrated, so you just mix with water and pour into a spray bottle. It saves a ton of plastic and you can customize the dilution that best suits your needs.
5. One of our most popular laundry detergents, Eco Sprout, comes in a variety of scents (including unscented) and three sizes. I personally use it on all my laundry. I get the largest bag and it lasts me for over a month!
6. Another product by Biokleen, this Automatic Dish Powder is a great alternative to the caustic chemicals found in most dish detergents. Especially with babies and small children in the house, I’ve tried to make sure that I use very gentle dish cleaners. I don’t want to expose my son to chemical residue!
7. If you use laundry sheets, which are coated with chemicals, to soften your laundry, you might think about switching to something more natural like the LooHoo Wool Dryer Balls. Made from wool, dryer balls naturally soften your laundry and reduce drying time by agitating your clothes in the dryer. We recommend having 4-6 balls. Of course, they’re also fun for your little laundry helpers to toss in in the machine and I think they’d look so neat in a glass bowl on top of the dryer.
How do you clean your house? Do you do a big, all inclusive spring clean?
Comments will be approved before showing up.